Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Director, Intellectual Property, and Senior Patent Counsel
at AtriCure, inc.
Full Time Regular
Office based or Remote:
AtriCure, Inc. provides innovative technologies for the treatment of Afib and related conditions. Afib affects more than 33 million people worldwide. Electrophysiologists and cardiothoracic surgeons around the globe use AtriCure technologies for the treatment of Afib and reduction of Afib related complications. AtriCure’s Isolator® Synergy™ Ablation System is the first and only medical device to receive FDAapproval for the treatment of persistent Afib. AtriCure’s AtriClip Left Atrial Appendage Exclusion System products are the most widely sold LAA management devices worldwide. For more information, visit AtriCure.com or follow us on Twitter @AtriCure.
The Director, Intellectual Property, and Senior Patent Counsel acts as the primary intellectual property resource for AtriCure. This position will develop an in-depth understanding of the Company’s intellectual property, products and business, and will possess the ability to evaluate and balance both legal and business factors when providing legal advice. Prepares or oversees outside counsel's preparation and prosecution of patent applications.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION:
- Manages the company’s intellectual property including maintaining the company’s trademarks, conducting patent and trademark searches, and providing opinions regarding trademarks and patents
- Manages the company’s invention disclosure and review process
- Functions as a proactive, primary resource for R&D and business management for all matters of IP
- Serves as trusted counsel on all IP issues, locally and globally, by giving solid and practical IP legal advice.
- Gains a solid understanding of AtriCure’s intellectual property, products and businesses, their goals and challenges, and identifies and successfully executes appropriate IP strategies to achieve those goals and minimize those challenges.
- Aligns IP strategies with the AtriCure’s business and strategic plans, including regularly conducting IP Review Boards to confirm alignment with evolving business and strategic plans.
- Assists with mergers and acquisitions from due diligence to documentation as needed.
- In close collaboration with the R&D teams, constantly renews AtriCure’s IP estate by actively harvesting and protecting new inventions/trademarks.
- Actively manages the IP portfolio in close collaboration with the R&D and business teams.
- Willing to work on the smallest and simplest, as well as the most complex, IP matters faced by AtriCure.
- Selects and manages outside counsel with a focus on quality, output and cost.
- Trains members of the business and R&D Teams in IP matters and best practices.
- Coordinates with outside counsel to prepare and prosecute patent applications domestically and internationally.
- Clears products and services of the Company for freedom-to-operate, including advising R&D on effective ways to design around third-party patents when warranted.
- Identifies opportunities to enforce/monetize AtriCure’s IP estate against infringers.
- Manages competition monitoring/IP landscaping in key technology areas.
- Drafts and negotiates IP-related agreements (e.g., licensing or collaboration agreements).
- Other duties as assigned.
ADDITIONAL ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION:
- Regular and predictable worksite attendance
- Ability to work under fast-paced conditions
- Ability to make decisions and use good judgment
- Ability to prioritize various duties and multitask as required
- Ability to successfully work with others
- Additional duties as assigned
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience (post-bar admission law firm) required
- J.D. from an ABA accredited law school
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering/Science (Mechanical, Chemical, Electrical, Software Engineering, or related field highly preferred.)
- License to practice law in Ohio preferred, license in other states acceptable if eligible for admission to Ohio by waiver
- Admitted to practice before US Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO)
- Hands-on experience in drafting and negotiating IP-related agreements required.
- Hands-on experience with US patent prosecution matters in complex patent portfolio required.
- Working experience with nuances of international patent law (via local counsel) preferred, particularly with respect to Europe and China.
- Proven experience in counseling clients on how to develop new products within crowded patent environments, including patent landscaping.
- Ability to travel 25%
- In-house experience for a medical device company preferred.
- Understanding of FDA regulations for medical devices is preferred.
- Ability to regularly walk, sit, or stand as required
- Ability to occasionally bend and push/pull
- Ability to pass pre-employment drug screen and background check
AtriCure is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, protected veteran status, status as an individual with disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law(s).
AtriCure participates in the federal E-Verify program to confirm the identity of and employment authorization of all newly hired employees. For further information about the E-Verify program, please click here https://www.e-verify.gov/
AtriCure has a variety of benefits available for US based employees and their families. Examples include Medical & Dental beginning day 1 of employment, 401K plus match, 15 days of paid Parental Leave, in addition to maternity leave, for new moms and dads, Volunteer Time off, Pet Insurance, and more. Corporate-based employees also have full access to our on-site fitness center and cafeteria. To see a complete list of our benefits, please visit our careers website: https://www.atricure.com/benefits
Agency and Third Party Recruiter Notice:
Agencies that submit a resume to AtriCure must have a current Agreement in place, executed by a member of the Human Resource/Recruiting Department. In addition agencies may only submit candidates to positions for which they have been invited to do so by one of our Recruiters or Recruiting Managers. All unsolicited resumes sent to us will be considered property of AtriCure and AtriCure will not be held liable to pay a placement fee.