Cliffs Natural Resources
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Maintenance Electrical Technician
at Cliffs Natural Resources
About Cleveland-Cliffs Inc.
Founded in 1847, Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is the largest and oldest independent iron ore mining company in the United States. We are a major supplier of iron ore pellets to the North American steel industry from our mines and pellet plants located in Michigan and Minnesota. By 2020, Cliffs expects to be the sole producer of hot briquetted iron (HBI) in the Great Lakes region with the development of its first production plant in Toledo, OH. Driven by the core values of safety, social, environmental and capital stewardship, our employees endeavor to provide all stakeholders with operating and financial transparency. For more information, visit http://www.clevelandcliffs.com
Thank you for your interest in exploring a career opportunity with Cleveland-Cliffs. Our Career site is updated daily with new opportunities, so please check back often.
The Maintenance – Electrical Technician is primarily responsible for performing electrical preventative and corrective maintenance on processing plant equipment and supporting electrical infrastructure requiring full craftsman skill. This role also assists and performs electrical work on low voltage and instrumentation as required.
Specific Responsibilities/Essential Functions
- Safely and competently perform inspections, replacements, and repairs on a wide variety of equipment, in both inside and outdoor applications in a continuous operational environment.
- Considers and performs electrical isolation of equipment for safety of self and others as part of isolation lock out tag out while minimizing interference to operations.
- Receive and execute work orders and instructions verbally and in writing for scheduled and break in repair of equipment.
- Determines necessary isolation, tools, materials, and equipment to perform break in work.
- Analyzes and interprets one lines, wiring diagrams, sketches and drawings to select a logical approach to troubleshooting, tracing, and testing circuits to determining replacement or repair needs of equipment.
- Inspect, repair, install, and wire all electrical devices and circuits of any voltage in the plant including power transmission lines, transformers, and related equipment.
- Work with all types and sizes of AC and DC motors and generators, transformers, circuit breakers, rectifiers, electronic controls, control panels, starters, switches, lighting equipment, power distribution and control circuits, conduit and fittings, wire and cable, hardware, insulations, solder, repair and replacement parts, cables, insulators, conduit, etc.
- Regularly use electrical testing instruments, hand tools, and machinery to install, repair, connect, disconnect, and/or replace electrical systems and supporting infrastructure.
- Perform work requiring a thorough working knowledge of electrical principles wiring specification codes, properties of various materials, principles of operation, and application of equipment.
- Dismantles, inspects, repairs, adjusts, or replaces faulty parts and wiring on motors, generators, power distribution and control panels, circuit breakers, rectifiers, electronic devices, etc.
- Replaces and/or adjusts coils, resistors, rheostats, relays, contactors, relays and bus riggings, etc.
- For break in work, in combination with appropriate approval, shunts out defective coils in order to get equipment back in operation.
- Keeps tools and work area in clean and orderly condition.
- Prepares required reports and provides both written and verbal feedback.
- Associates Degree or 2-year technical school degree/certification or completion of an apprenticeship program. May consider equivalent experience
- Journeyman card, certification and/or 5+ years of electrical trades maintenance work experience in a manufacturing or industrial environment.
- Strong electrical/instrumentation aptitude with experience in medium voltage electrical systems and equipment used within heavy industrial environments.
- Ability to read electrical, instrumentation, hydraulic, and pneumatic prints.
- Ability to troubleshoot electrical problems.
- Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) experience; Ellipse preferred
- Microsoft Office experience (Excel, Word, etc.).
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and effectively manage multiple/changing priorities.
- Ability to read and understand electrical and instrumentation drawing sets
- Ability to interpret maintenance manuals
- Effectively communicate both orally and through written text
- Occasionally lifting up to 25lbs
- Mobility required. Must be able to climb stairs, ladders and long periods of work on your feet
- Routinely exposed to plant environment including noise, dust, dirt, and vibrations, extreme climate changes / changes in weather
- Ability to work at heights from bucket trucks and elevated work platforms
- Willing to work shift work