Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Medication Reconciliation Certified Pharmacy Tech: FT 10a-8:30p
at Firelands Regional
GENERAL SUMMARY AND SCOPE
Under the direct supervision of a Pharmacist ensures that medication lists are updated for every patient admitted through the emergency department and inpatient units; improves medication safety and the accuracy of admission medication histories; updates and clarifies allergy information of patients in the electronic health record; resolves and addresses drug distribution issues; and optimizes patient outcomes through interdisciplinary medication management in the emergency department and throughout the hospital.
ESSENTIAL TASKS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Obtain patient allergies and admission medication histories from relevant sources including but not limited to patient/family/caregiver interview and phone calls to outpatient pharmacy/nursing home/provider’s office. Such information should be processed in the Electronic Health Record (EHR);
- Clarify patient allergies and admission medication histories from relevant sources including but not limited to patient/family/caregiver interview and phone calls to outpatient pharmacy/nursing home/provider’s office. Such information should be processed in the EHR;
- Directly communicates to the pharmacist about patients with complex/high‐risk medications based on admission medication list as defined by policy;
- Document any appropriate medication history related information in EHR;
- Inform each patient about Outpatient pharmacy on campus as available resource to fill prescriptions upon discharge through the Meds to Beds program;
- Facilitate or direct appropriate medication related questions to the pharmacist;
- Interacts effectively with other emergency department health care team on a regular basis;
- Within scope of practice assists pharmacist to facilitate pharmaceutical care to the patient;
- Prevent, detect, monitor, document and report medication errors;
- Facilitate discharge/transfer for the ED patients and hospital inpatients.
Drug Distribution Support
- Expedite medication administration by all appropriate mechanisms (coordination with Inpatient pharmacy);
- Resolve drug distribution related issues;
- Resolve automated dispensing system‐related issue;
- Provide training of new hires or students;
- Participate actively in the ED staff meetings/huddles.
OTHER TASKS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- May have responsibilities in the inpatient Pharmacy and Retail Pharmacy service areas as requested.
- Attends staff meetings. Participates in orientation, education, and training programs.
- Completes all competency/skills assessment requirements.
- Participates in department performance improvement activities as assigned and attends required training.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- High School diploma, or equivalent. College courses desirable, but not required.
- Current pharmacy technician certification required through the Ohio Board of Pharmacy and National Technician Certification Exam, e.g. PTCB.
- Two years pharmacy technician experience preferred but not required.
- Demonstrated ability to organize work, and work under minimum supervision.
- Ability to be mobile.
- Ability to perform work accurately with attention to detail within specified times.
- Ability to work cooperatively with hospital and pharmacy staff.
- Ability to handle frequent interruptions, comprehend complex drug therapies and adapt to changes in workload and work schedule.
- Ability to set priorities and solve problems.
- Fosters a team environment by providing orientation and training to new team members.
- Ability to communicate effectively with customers (verbal and written).
- Ability to work in a safe and efficient manner and maintain an accident free work place,
- including ability to demonstrate a working knowledge of Medical Center emergency codes.
- Ability to comply with OSHA regulations and CDC standard and transmission-based
- precaution recommendations and to utilize proper personal protective equipment. Ability to
- comply with provisions of applicable S.D.S. forms.
- Successful completion of a ninety (90) day probationary period required.