Great American Insurance Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Data Business Analyst (Data Integration/Warehouse BA)
at Great American Insurance Group
- Job ID
- # Positions
- Position Type
- Full Time
Be Here. Be Great. Working for a leader in the insurance industry means opportunity for you. Great American Insurance Group, a member of American Financial Group, is a Fortune 500 company consistently recognized as a top place to work. We combine a "small company" culture where your ideas will be heard with "big company" expertise to help you succeed. With over 30 specialty property and casualty operations and a variety of financial services, there are always opportunities here to learn and grow.
The Data Management group within P&C IT specializes in data movement & integration between disparate systems, utilizing a range of technologies including traditional ETL, Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) & XML messaging, industry standards-based bulk file transfers (ACORD), and a platform supporting direct data entry into the warehouse.
The Data Management BA program is looking for a business analyst to work within our Data Integration/Warehouse Team. The person who applies for this position should have a unique blend of soft skills, analytical skills, technical skills and agility. He or she is proactive, dependency-aware and can transition seamlessly between a holistic, enterprise perspective and a critical attention to detail. The ideal candidate will quickly acquire an in-depth understanding of the business units served and the products it offers, and can facilitate the negotiation between stakeholders and the development team about what to build, while instilling a keen sense of urgency in that delivery.
- Acts as a liaison between business units and IT. Develops and maintains knowledge of customer’s business and data needs
- Creates clarity around needs and requests by leading requirements gathering sessions with business unit and end user; documents end user requirements for data capture, program functions, data quality, reports and analysis, and training
- Supports Developers and Data Modelers through the project lifecycle
- Works with QA to develop and execute test plans based on appropriate coverage for the functionality being delivered
- Utilizes understanding of data systems & objects as well as SQL to perform data validations against a variety of data warehouses
- Performs analysis for production support of systems and applications, creates associated documentation and coordinates resolutions
- Works on small, medium and large size projects with varying levels of complexity
- Supports Portfolio and Program level efforts in helping refine scope, providing initial estimates and other activities as needed
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Proficient analytical, problem-solving, critical-thinking & communication skills
- Knowledge of reporting tools and databases
- Demonstrates strong technical aptitude/skills
- Highly proficient in relational data base tools, including SQL
- Strong oral, written, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to self-manage and stay on track with commitments; resourceful in solving problems and removing impediments
- Ability to think creatively, champion new ideas and challenge the status quo
- Adaptable and effectively cope with rapidly changing business landscape
- 3+ years of related experience as IT or Business Analysis that includes researching, testing, documenting and/or maintaining applications or using applications in a business setting
- Experience in Data Warehousing, Integration, Data Mapping
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Accounting, Computer Science or related discipline or equivalent work experience.
- Agile delivery (including XP) experience, a plus
- Commercial Insurance experience, a plus
- Development background, a plus
The ideal candidate is someone who has the interpersonal skills to place in front of business users along with technical aptitude and skills to help solve complex data issues and design questions. Candidates who have been developers in previous roles and are seeking more interaction with business users have proven to be very successful in this position.