Great American Insurance Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Great American Insurance Group
- Job ID
- # Positions
- Accounting & Finance
- Position Type
- Full Time
Be Here. Be Great. Working for a leader in the insurance industry means opportunity for you. Great American Insurance Group’s member companies are subsidiaries of American Financial Group, a Fortune 500 company. We combine a "small company" culture where your ideas will be heard with "big company" expertise to help you succeed. With over 30 specialty property and casualty operations and a variety of financial services, there are always opportunities here to learn and grow.
The AFG Tax Division provides tax advice, analysis and planning services to the AFG family of companies and plays an integral role in all major transactions involving AFG and its subsidiaries. We strive to grow and develop technical expertise, be technologically innovative, provide quality service, and build a strong team. In addition to transaction-related planning and advice, the Tax Division is responsible for federal, state and local compliance and tax controversy resolution from audit through litigation.
The Tax Analyst will be a valued member of the AFG Tax Division whose job will encompass the federal tax responsibilities and preferred skills outlined below. Specific areas of opportunity will be tailored based on experience and interest to include state and local taxation, foreign taxation, investment taxation and partnership taxation.
- Prepare federal, state and local tax returns for corporations, partnerships, and foreign entities.
- Complete quarterly tax calculations to support financial statement accounting for income taxes and the calculation of quarterly federal and state estimated tax payments.
- Assist with implementation of new tax legislation.
- Work closely with subsidiary financial, investment, and management contacts to gather financial information necessary to provide tax advice.
- Conduct tax research in connection with current operations, new legislation, and proposed business transactions.
- Participate in the development and implementation of tax technology initiatives.
- Be a team member on projects as they arise.
- Grow professionally and technically through self-study, outside technical training courses, and internal GAI University courses.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related discipline, CPA designation a plus.
- 0 to 3 years of experience in tax, financial and/or investment accounting; statutory insurance accounting experience a plus.
- Experience with tax compliance and provision software, knowledge of Corptax a plus.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word, with an understanding of data lookup functions, pivot tables, and macros. General technology experience and curiosity is preferred.
- Self-motivated and disciplined with the ability to prioritize and manage time effectively.
- Ability to communicate clearly, confidently, and concisely with internal and external contacts.
- Desire to learn new, specialized tax material and technology through self-study, research and seminars.
- Experience in insurance, state and local, partnership, investments and/or foreign taxation a plus.