Steward Health Care System
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Technical Assistant - Part Time, Afternoon Shift
at Steward Health Care System
Responsible to Trumbull Regional Medical Center for supporting the corporate mission, vision and values. Responsible to the Laboratory for preparation of reference lab specimens and other types of specimens for testing and phlebotomy. Responsible to the customer for courteous, accurate, timely service.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND MAJOR DUTIES
- Prepares laboratory specimens (blood/fluids, etc.) for shipment to reference labs by completing requisitions or utilizing the Lab Information System, processing samples, verifying specimen requirements and arranging for specimen pick up if necessary.
- Prepares patient samples for cytologic examination utilizing standard procedures.
- May process microbiology samples, performing simple stains and various culture set up techniques.
- Performs blood collection by venipuncture or micropuncture on adults, children, or infants using proper phlebotomy techniques in a courteous, professional manner.
- Processes specimens from inpatient and outpatient areas utilizing centrifugation, biological hoods and manual methods.
- May assist in the training of employees in areas of reference lab specimen processing and other types of sample preparation or phlebotomy.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The above statements reflects the general duties considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all the work assignments that may be inherent in the job.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High school graduate or GED with related experience or training in general laboratory experience, phlebotomy, and specimen processing. After orientation, up to six month’s experience on this job is required to perform essential functions.
LICENSURE, REGISTRATION AND/OR CERTIFICATION
Certification in phlebotomy by ASCP or NCA required. If experienced, would hire and obtain certification within one year.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Broad knowledge in professional area and in phlebotomy and medical laboratory practice.
LANGUAGE AND MATH
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.